29 November 2012

And so the INSANITY (the good kind) begins!

As I hinted in one of my previous posts, my momma is extremely talented in the crochet department.  She is THE QUEEN of crochet.  I still have the twin blanket she made me when I was about 4-5 years old.  Over the years she has made ponchos and hats and scarves for me and for other people.  She has made countless baby blankets that have become treasured friends to their little recipients.

All of my life I have watched her work and never asked her to teach me.  Quite honestly, until recently I had no desire to learn.  Then I decided to sign up for the Scarfament Swap and a fire started in me.  I was bound and determined to make everything for the swap - ornament and scarf!  I made the ornament at the Holiday Paint Something Workshop.  As far as crochet, I attempted to use YouTube videos and was NOT getting it.  My mom lives 4 hours away from us so I couldn't just drop in for a lesson or two. 

Fortunately for me, Thanksgiving was right around the corner when I entered this period of crochet madness!  We made the trek down to mom's for the holiday and I was able to spend time learning from the absolute best!  Mom was so patient with me.  She was very excited about my desire to learn.  That weekend I made one scarf and two hats and started two more scarves!  Mom even taught me to crochet a granny square.  I couldn't do it today without having her talk me through it, but I am proud of the one I have in my crochet bag!

Since we left Sunday morning, I have continued to crochet; in the car, on a plane, propped up in bed (at home and in a hotel), while watching a movie (at home).  I am working on a scarf for my nephew Ben now.  I love that he asked for a cool color like turquoise!  When I started this learning process, my stitches were so tight I had trouble with the subsequent rows.  My technique is getting better and it can only continue to improve.  My only complaint is that the arthritis in my hands doesn't like my new hobby.  But, pain won't stop me from trying.  A monster has been unleashed and it must be fed!

No pictures until my swap partner receives and opens her package!       

4 comments:

  1. everything was PERFECT!
    finally blogged about it :)
    http://www.carinalee.com/2012/12/scarfament-love.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a joy for me to share with you, Carina. I'm so happy you like your goodies! I love mine, too!

      Delete
  2. I came over from Carina's blog. so impressed by your talent. even more impressed by your sweetness!
    xo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How kind of you to drop in to say that! Thank you so much! I posted about my box of swap goodies. Hope you'll check it out.

      Delete