26 October 2012

Everything and Nothing and a Plan

I have a severe case of creative ADD - I want to do everything and nothing all at the same time.  I have dabbled in many different art forms and love them all.  My favorites are scherenschnitte (the art of paper cutting), acrylic painting and doodling (now eloquently known as zentangle).  I have supplies for polymer clay projects, sewing projects (including a machine I've used ONCE in 8 years), paint chip projects, metal stamping and jewelry making projects and on and on and on!  I am inspired by so many creative people that I want to try EVERYTHING!  Instead, for the most part, I do nothing...but I have a plan! 

A few months ago I went to a Paint Something Workshop at Jenni Horne Studios and I have been hooked ever since.  Jenni is a wonderful teacher and just an all around great lady.  I don't know that I would have ever embarked on a painting journey if it weren't for Jenni's methods and her encouragement.  During my last two PSW sessions, I worked on this:

 
This picture is not the best representation of the final piece which now sits in a place of honor at my mom's house.  This project took me 10 hours...yes, TEN!  Up to that point, I had not attempted such an ambitious, tedious painting.  My back hurt, my neck hurt, my wrist hurt, but I had such a sense of pride!  Of course I got a boost when Jenni told me she was proud of me for getting out of my comfort zone and challenging myself.

I enjoy learning new techniques and revisiting old ones so much that I am going on a retreat in January called Southern Circle Retreats.  The retreat is being co-hosted by none other than Jenni and her super talented, fellow creative genius friend, Tiffin Mills.  It is such a gift to have this opportunity!  I can hardly wait!  The number of available spots is limited allowing for a more intimate experience.  I'd much rather have that than getting lost in a sea of people in a big classroom setting.  I want to be an artist, dreamer and doer like Jenni and Tiffin instead of just a dreamer.  Perhaps the retreat will give me what I need to get focused.

I would be remiss if I didn't give a shout out to my sweet husband.  He is incredibly supportive while I go through this discovery process.  He indulges my 'on a whim' trips to Hobby Lobby, Joann's and/or Michael's.  He believes I can do anything even when I am full of self-doubt and fear.  I am blessed beyond measure in the husband department!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment